3.19.2011

Shrimp Tempura and Onion Rings Recipe


This is my first attempt at making TEMPURA, and sadly, it failed. For this one, I used a tempura batter mix that I bought at Japan Japan last week while buying Mimi a gift for her birthday. It didn't help that the instructions were written in Japanese so I had to guess how much water to put in the mix. From what I know, cooking tempura requires ice cold water, I did that, but the batter didn't stick well after frying.

I know where I went wrong. The batter was not thick enough and I also forgot to dry the shrimps (by damping paper towel on them) before dipping them on the batter. Nevertheless, it's still yummy.

The remaining batter, I used for onion rings. It wasn't that crispy.  

Few days after, I tried eggplant tempura and I made sure the batter was thick enough to hold them together. Guess what!? It's still not perfect :( Moral of the story is, before buying tempura batter mix, make sure you understand the instructions at the back!

Maybe, I should just try homemade batter next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment